Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Fight For Jackie

As most of you, my loyal readers may not personally know Jackie Malena, she's a friend/co-worker of mine that goes way back.... kind of sort of. Long story short (maybe)- Jackie and I met when I first started in real estate, just a few years ago, while she worked with Kristi Soligo as a Buyers agent. Jackie and I got to talking one day and it turns out that we grew up in the same neighborhood, in Walnut Creek way back when. Amazing how just a few years difference between us could make a world of difference. The funnier part of the story is that when we met then, we again lived in the same neighborhood, just a few doors down and never even knew it. And for anyone that knows Jackie, you know that in just meeting her and talking to her for the first time, that there's just an instant bond. She's just such an easy person to talk to and to get to know. And then for a stint, after having her second baby and while on an extended maternity leave, I was amazed to see her on tv one early morning, talking about her new book that she wrote about being a mom! I was so touched that I could say, "I knew her when..."


Well, now's that time, when she needs our help... she needs us to not remember her when, but to help her now! Jackie is fighting a very rare cancer, one that does not usually attack healthy, younger women, but has chosen her and challenged her to fight. She was first diagnosed when she was pregnant with her first daughter, 7 years ago and was given 6 months to live. She beat it then and carried her baby to term to deliver her happy and healthy. Then after being cancer free for 6 years, it came back. Now, Jackie is facing this with her husband and two little girls and unremourseful insurance company that has been less than helpful with her battle. I'm not going to go into depth about her story, as I know it will just make me cry (again), but I encourage you to go to her sites: http://www.fightforjackie.com/ and http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jackiemalena to hear her story and how you too can help.


I would also like to invite you to a luncheon being held at our office in Liberty next Tuesday, hosted by The Clemons Home Team to help benefit Jackie and her family. Please email me for more details if you'd like to come or to help in any way. Your thoughts and prayers give her strength and are greatly appreciated. Please feel free to pass this information along to anyone you know that might also be able to help.

No comments: